Monday 4 January 2016

Recipe: Apple and Brown Sugar Porridge

Recipe:
Oats
Alpro soya milk
Apple cut up
Sprinkle of brown sugar


I tried making vegan porridge as an alternative to my usual porridge. I am trying to adjust to soya milk as I drink a lot of milk normally, enough for a small family. Mainly I have this in the form of porridge and cups of tea - however I have realised I quite like my tea black, and I've figured out how to make vegan coffee without it curdling.

However, this morning I had a vegan breakfast. I made the porridge like usual, putting the oats in the pan, adding enough milk to swirl the oats around the pan, chopped up the apple to cook into the porridge and kept stirring it whilst it heated until it bubbles and is the right texture. I sprinkled brown sugar on the top for an additional sweetness to blend with my unsweetened soya milk.

It was delicious. The soya milk gave the porridge a nutty taste, which I quite like. The texture was the same as when I normally make porridge which was a bonus as there is not much change. The reason I put the apple in at the start is because by heating it up the flavour intensifies throughout the porridge and softens the apple. I kept the skin on, but it could be peeled.

Then I ate the rest of the apple whilst cooking the porridge, so that is one of my 5 a day already out of the way. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment